Muslim Marriage Celebrant

Hisham Obeid - Perth, Western Australia


What are your qualifications?

I am a trained, qualified and registered Civil and Islamic / Muslim Celebrant. This means I can conduct Civil and Islamic Marriages anywhere in Australia. I have been solemnizing marriages for over 14 years, so I have very good people skills as well as much experience in catering and accommodate for all types of ceremonies and audiences.

Do we receive a Marriage Certificate?

Yes, in fact you will receive two Marriage Certificates signed and presented to you at your Ceremony - one Australian Government Civil Certificate and one Islamic Muslim Marriage Certificate. This covers you anywhere you go in the world, as many Muslim countries would request evidence that your marriage was performed according to Islam. If you request a Muslim Marriage only or a Civil Marriage only then you will get the certificate accordingly.

*Please note that the certificate you receive is a legal document but it has limited authority. If you wish to adopt your partner's surname or apply for your partner to stay in Australia through immigration sponsorship then another document is required for this purpose. This document can be acquired from The Department of Death, Births and Marriages after I register your marriage with them.

Can we write our own vows?

Standard vows are available for you to use (in Arabic or English). If you wish to write your own vows I am happy to help you write customised vows that also fulfil the legal and Islamic rules and regulations.

We have certain cultural customs, can we make them part of our ceremony?

Yes! Thing like exchanging rings, signing register/marriage certificate, Speech from the father of the bride or groom, Ta'leeq (promise vows), milk & dates ceremony etc. This come under special requests and can be discussed when we are planning you wedding.

Planning an outdoor wedding – should we have an indoor option if the weather becomes inclement?

There are so many beautiful outdoor places where you can have your ceremony, some are advisable to book like The Swan Shell at Burswood Park and it's also best to check with the local council for permit requirements, available parking etc. Yes! And it's always best to have a plan B in case of inclement weather. We say Inshallah, and also tie our camel.

Does the bride need a Wali (a male representative – normally a father, brother, etc.) to give her away at the wedding?

Permission of the Wali is mandatory according to some scholars and optional according to others, it all depends on your situation. It is always better that you have your Wali present at the ceremony or have his permission if he cannot make it to the wedding. If you do not have a Wali then it can be left out otherwise the Imam can be your Wali or you can appoint a Wali of your choice. Please contact me for more information about this issue.

Do we need to have witnesses?

Yes, you need to have two witnesses over the age of 18 years of age in order to solemnize your marriage. If you are an overseas couple or for some reason cannot call on two witnesses, I may be able to organise witnesses for you, according to their availability.

How much notice do we need to give to get married?

For a Civil Marriage you must give at least one month’s notice. This is performed by filling out the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) form and lodging it with the celebrant. (Shortening of time can be requested through the Courts, which may or may not be authorized.) For an Islamic Muslim wedding one month’s prior notice is not necessary.

How old do I need to be to get married?

To have a civil marriage in Australia, you must be over the age of 18. There is an exception where one party who is between 16 and 18 years of age and wishes to marry a person over 18. In this instance, the underage person must have the permission of a Judge or Magistrate as well as parental consent.

What Documents do I need and what are the Legal requirements?

Please see Legal Requirements and Formalities